Sunday 27 October 2013

5 Things I Have Learned

I've been thinking about our kids a lot today.  As a parent, I tend to focus a lot of my attention on instructing our children.  I try to impart some wisdom, little nuggets of useful knowledge that they'll hopefully retain in their memory banks, and recall someday when they need it.

Today however, my focus shifted, and I began to think about the things that I have learned from each of our children.  I am so thankful for each wonderfully unique personality in our blended family.  I would like to share with you some things that our kids have taught me.

1.  Bryce is a highly intelligent girl, who is very good at looking at things from different perspectives.  She understands that there are two sides to every story, and she doesn't just jump to conclusions about people.  From Bryce I have learned that it's important to try to understand where people are coming from, and to look at things from another person's point of view.

2.  Alyssa has an incredibly soft and caring heart.  There is a gentleness in everything she does, and she wants the people (and animals) around her to feel healthy, happy and loved.  She is always very open and honest about her feelings.  From Alyssa I have learned that it's important to let people know that you care about them, with a hug, an "I love you", or simply a smile.

3.  Elliot is so accepting of others.  He sees value in those who perhaps are viewed as outcasts by the majority of people.  He often mentions that we should bring a sick elderly person flowers, or we need to invite a person who doesn't have a lot of friends over for supper.  From Elliot I have learned that I need to look to the needs of others, and do something about it.

4.  Emma loves to chat and laugh with people, and she tries to make sure that everybody's having a good time.  She is very funny, and loves to talk, however she is also an exceptional listener.  I always feel that the words I'm saying are extremely important to Emma.  From Emma I have learned that it's important to have fun in life, and that I need to be attentive when someone's speaking to me.

5.  Griffin definitely knows how to live in the moment.  He seems to have an endless supply of energy, and his immense enthusiasm is highly contagious.  He is so easy going, and can walk up to anybody and effortlessly strike up a conversation with them.  From Griffin I have learned that I need to be enthusiastic about the things that I busy myself with, and to express a genuine interest in the people around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment