Tuesday 17 September 2013

There Is Hope



Lamentations 3:19-33

It’s a Good Thing to Hope for Help from God

19-21 I’ll never forget the trouble, the utter lostness,
    the taste of ashes, the poison I’ve swallowed.
I remember it all—oh, how well I remember—
    the feeling of hitting the bottom.
But there’s one other thing I remember,
    and remembering, I keep a grip on hope:
22-24 God’s loyal love couldn’t have run out,
    his merciful love couldn’t have dried up.
They’re created new every morning.
    How great your faithfulness!
I’m sticking with God (I say it over and over).
    He’s all I’ve got left.
25-27 God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits,
    to the woman who diligently seeks.
It’s a good thing to quietly hope,
    quietly hope for help from God.
It’s a good thing when you’re young
    to stick it out through the hard times.
28-30 When life is heavy and hard to take,
    go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don’t ask questions:
    Wait for hope to appear.
Don’t run from trouble. Take it full-face.
    The “worst” is never the worst.
31-33 Why? Because the Master won’t ever
    walk out and fail to return.
If he works severely, he also works tenderly.
    His stockpiles of loyal love are immense.

Are you feeling troubled today?  Is there something going on in your life that's causing you to feel sort of lost, or maybe even hopeless?  It struck me this morning, as it has at times before, that every person is experiencing trouble of some kind.  You know that quote: "Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle"?  It is so true.  No one is exempt.  No matter how much that "perfect" person you may be comparing yourself to appears to have it all together, they don't.  Seriously, they don't.  Sometimes actually, it can be that person that appears to be so strong and so capable that is struggling the most.  Because once you've given the impression that you've got it all together and can handle everything on your own, it's so much harder to ask for help.

I'm one of those people that tends to compare myself to others.  A lot.  All the time, actually.  I struggle with being "me", because I so desperately want to be like this, that, and the other person that I don't even know who "me" is any more.  I've asked God to help me with this, and I believe that I'm slowly starting to grasp what He whispers to me when I pray.  And that truly amazes me...God's whispering.  No matter how often I battle with this, no matter how many times I stumble and fall, God never yells.  Never.  I wouldn't blame Him for doing it, if He'd just belt it out: "Cheryl!  Get with the program!  I've told you a million times, just be yourself!!  It's not rocket science!!"  But no.  It's always a whisper I hear.  Soft, yet strong.  Gentle, but firm.  "Cheryl, you.  are.  mine.  I created you with a special, unique purpose for this life, and I love you.  You.  Not who you wish you could be like; but exactly you.  Cheryl Krahn."

If you are struggling with feelings something like this, or with very different things, just know that God loves you.  He cares for you, and is always by your side.  He is literally reaching out His arms, waiting for you to run into them and grab on tight.  I would like to encourage you to spend some quiet time with God today.  It's in the quiet times with Him that we are able to hear His gentle whispers of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment